Friday, October 26, 2007

Combat

I heard Joe Rogan once say that all athletes who aren't pugilists are wannabes (it's here, at around 4:00 but the whole thing is worth watching); basically he's saying that without the trials of one-on-one confrontation no athlete can ever really prove him/herself.

I've thought a lot about this. In our world of 'extreme' pursuits we see people pushing further and further into the unknown, going further, longer, higher, steeper and ever more difficult. But mostly at times of our choosing. I'm no different. I take on challenges when I feel like it. When it suits me.

But a real test of strength/ability/durability is how we handle the challenges that arise without warning, when we least expect it. When we aren't equipped or prepared in any way. How will you handle yourself? If you were unexpectedly confronted could you pull out the stops to defend yourself? Would you be able to call on all the training you did in the comfort of your favourite gym?

Could you become this guy if need be?



I suppose any training is better than none and that part of effective training means trying to prepare for the unexpected; to try and be ready to switch gears at any time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home